Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Fantasy vs. Reality

I have a new favorite word. Assholery. Great word. I plan to use it often.

Anyway... I was @ Charlie's Kitchen in Harvard Square on Friday and witnessed a debate over Reality vs. Fantasy. Risk Taking vs. Playing it Safe. Days later, I am still pondering it.

Which is better? To forgo turning a fantasy into a reality out of fear of being disappointed? To jump right in, everything be damned? To have the reality of your fantasy be so good you're left wanting more?

Why is it so hard to let people know how we feel? Why does what they think matter more?

Is it better to start a fresh relationship with a someone practically unknown to you? Or to find one in someone know wants you 'as is'? Which is better to have someone discover all your faults and quirks and hope they can see past them? Or have someone who knows what they getting into already and wants you because of those faults and quirks?

Maybe the whole turning 30 has affected me more than I thought it would. I didn't feel any different or wiser on April 3rd than I did on April 1st. I felt the same me I have felt the past 15 years. But suddenly, I have developed an air of confidence that hadn't been there before. True it's still in its infant stages but so far it has had positive reactions.

It's kinda weird. You know that check list we all have. The list of things we want to do before dying if the opportunities ever arise... I can cross two off... Maybe I need to move to Boston. It seems to be the only place were I actually end up doing some living.

Happy Tuesday.

No comments: